forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3629  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Amy Ruberl
Date:  Fri Jun 23, 2000  8:23 pm
Subject:  clarification of Cued Speech

writes:
>As usual...the difference between using a system to inadequately
>represent English is considered superior to actually using a language.
Actually, Cued Speech does an awesome job of representing English. Cueing
students in Maryland score at or above age level for language (both
expressive and receptive) similar to their hearing peers in public school.
This is unheard of for the majority of deaf children. The inventor of CS
was looking for a way to improve the literacy levels of deaf students at
Gallaudet. He achieved his goal.

Cued Speech provides visual access to the phonemes of English (or the
phonemes of the 50 or so consonant-vowel languages it has been adapted to)
which are required for reading and writing. It allows hearing parents a
way to convey the language and culture of the home to their deaf child
without stopping them from signing.

Most of the cueing students I know sign fluently and have amazing English
literacy as well as literacy with sign and Deaf culture.

To answer Val's question: Has Cued Speech blended at all with ASL?
Most of the cueing students I know who sign will sign with each other
socially and throw in an English word using cues when they don't know how
to spell it or they want to demonstrate the particular accent or dialect
of someone- for example to mimic someone who says "pahk the cah" rather
then "park the car." They code switch easily between ASL and English.
During a presentation where only Cued Speech Transliterators were
available to facilitate communication between the deaf and hearing
participants, I have saw a deaf cuer, watch one of the transliterators
cueing and sign interpreted for the one or two deaf individuals who had
come unexpectedly without requesting interpreting services. Great to
watch!

I spoke to a group of graduate students about Cued Speech the other night
and was excited to be able to tell them about the spread of signwriting as
well. No one in the room was familiar with either Cued Speech or
signwriting. I always mention SW when a I talk about CS. I figure the
more knowledge everyone has about what is available the more skills we can
give our children.

In case you are wondering, I am a teacher of deaf and hard of hearing
students and the president of the Maryland Cued Speech Association. I
have taught oral/aural, signing, and cueing students of all ages. The
students with the best skills in any spoken language are the CS students
(a senior I worked with was in all honors classes, taking Spanish 2 and
French 5, getting straight As). The second best were the deaf of deaf
students who obviously had fluent ASL skills but still struggled with
English as a second language missing idiomatic expression, multiple
meanings, and had poor syntax.

Just wanted to let everyone know a little more about CS and give you
another resource (me) for answering any questions you have about it. You
can email me at this address or .

Amy Ruberl
Maryland Cued Speech Association President

  Replies Author Date
3630 Cued Speech and SignWriting ;-) Valerie Sutton Sun  6/25/2000
3631 Re: Cued Speech and SignWriting ;-) Amy Ruberl Sun  6/25/2000
3632 Re: Cued Speech and SignWriting ;-) Valerie Sutton Sun  6/25/2000

  Message 3629  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index