forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3757  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Charles Butler
Date:  Sun Jul 2, 2000  10:24 pm
Subject:  Re: Lucky

To Bill and all else on the list,

I would strongly suggest if we REALLY want to see an all-inclusive sign
dictionary in signwriting that would allow us not only to obtain a command
of that language but also the understanding and study of it, the same way
spoken language
dictionaries do it now....

.... then we better start looking at fundraising and publicity to make it
happen. Valerie Sutton will not be the only person creating such a
dictionary. She has too much on her plate already.

To create the Webster's Dictionary, for example, takes hundreds of people
thousands of cataloguing hours going through already published works to get
usages and variants. To do the same for ASL (only one of hundreds of sign
languages) will be an equivalent TALL order.

Are we willing to be a part of the creation of that process, becoming a Sign
Language researcher and transcriber, and putting down what you see so that
it can be in that "all inclusive dictionary"?

Are we willing to devote thousands of hours on computer and one-on-one with
native Deaf signers?

Are we willing to get through the barage of mistrust over the use of signed
languages AS language by Hearies?

Are we willing to record variants and regionalisms linguistically in context
for the very project you desire?

Are we willing to do all of this for free or next to nothing funds?

If not, are we willing to devote time to write for grants in aid, service
projects, fundraisers and the like?

Are we willing to be frustrated by fourteen people questioning which
direction the rotation arrow should go?

Are we willing to see the same sign discussed fifteen ways from
Sunday..."but I DON'T DO IT THAT WAY?" endlessly?

If each of us can do all of this, then our names must be collectively
Valerie Sutton, as she's been doing it for 25 years.

If we can do any part of this, she will be eternally grateful for our
efforts.

Charles Butler

  Replies Author Date
3761 Re: Lucky Valerie Sutton Thu  7/6/2000

  Message 3757  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index