forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3745  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Tue Jul 4, 2000  1:41 am
Subject:  Re: Lucky

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 22:55:17 +0200
From: Stefan Woehrmann
To: Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Subject: Re: Re: standardized spellings

> Hi Angus,

> thanks for your attached gif.

> Gives me another opportunity to larn from.

> I tried to read your SW - symbols as an uninformed foreign reader. In
> case I would like to learn how to move ... I have got difficulties to
> perform properly.

> Please have a look at my gifs - I tried to copy your signs and add
> serveral versions that are added with more (??) information.

Hi Stefan!

I hope you don't mind if I reply to the whole list, because I'm
also very much a beginner at SignWriting, and still have a lot of ASL to
learn! Your questions are very helpful. I'd be interested in any
feedback from Valerie on my writing (when she has time), and from Cecelia,
Lorraine or Nancy on the accuracy of my signs.

> Is there any reason why you choose the arrows for neutral (not left,
> not right ?) when in fact you took the right hand ?

I'm not sure what the difference between the arrows is. The sign
is made with an axial movement which results in the tip of the middle
finger brushing the chin twice. I hope my new gif (nm2.gif) shows it
more clearly.

> As there is no area - I get in trouble where to locate the contact -
> neckm chin, upper breast area.

> I tried some variations and I´m just curious moving the hand -
> middlefinger with brush contact - you want to start from the position
> with back of the hand to the right side ?

Okay, my answer is (a). It starts with the middle finger in
contact with the chin. Isn't that what my gif shows? Be careful about
that upper breast area; it could be misinterpreted and cost Valerie her
Net-Mom Approved Award!

For the NM sign for "lucky," it's made with the tip of the thumb
remaining in contact with the right side of the chin while the selected
fingers close twice.

Thanks again for your feedback. We're all learning here, so it's
good to get help from each other!

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

Attachment
lucky abcd.gif
Type: IMAGE/GIF

lucky in NM.gif
Type: IMAGE/GIF

nm2.gif
Type: IMAGE/GIF

3746 Re: Lucky Nancy Cole Tue  7/4/2000
3748 Re: Lucky Valerie Sutton Tue  7/4/2000
3749 Re: Lucky Angus B. Grieve-Smith Wed  7/5/2000
3750 Re: Lucky Valerie Sutton Wed  7/5/2000
3752 Re: Lucky Angus B. Grieve-Smith Wed  7/5/2000
3751 Re: Lucky Bill Reese Wed  7/5/2000
3753 Re: Lucky Angus B. Grieve-Smith Wed  7/5/2000
3754 Re: Lucky Stefan Woehrmann Wed  7/5/2000
3757 Re: Lucky Charles Butler Wed  7/5/2000

  Message 3745  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index