forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3811  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Sat Jul 29, 2000  4:34 pm
Subject:  Japanese Bibel Project - second turn

Hi Joe and friends ,
here is my comment on the next frames we try to transcribe.

I believe that the signer wants to sign "Jesus" but I guess that he touches
the palm of the
left hand 5 fingers spread palm to the left with his middle and
ringfingers -

I couldnīt find this handshape on the keyboard - so I tried my own
construction.

The next movement isnīt clear enough. I guess (again) that he touches his
palm of the C-handshaped left hand parallel to the floor palm inside with --
with what ??

please help - is it the index -finger ?

(Here we can find back to our discussion on how exactly we need to
transcribe - I guess he signs Jesus - and the usual sign for Jesus - touch
of middlefingers at the plams of the hands would serve perfectly in order to
write down a signed meaning -
but thatīs not what our project was set up for. In case we decide to write
what we see - I mean movement-sequences - I would love to be able to do
that. )

Nitpicking - ha !

The signer starts with looking ahead down but ends with looking forward -
eyebrows up - is it important ? Does he indicate - Iīm talking about the
important person?

How to write this shift from looking down in front of you to straight
forward ???? I mean - should we write to faces - starting with the first
part of the sign - and then another face with the eyes open ? - or arrows ?

Joe wrote arrows underneath the eyebrows (up )
How to interpret these arrows - single stem down ?
Hi Joe do you have the excellent "Lessons in Signwriting " Textbook and
Workbook?

I looked up chapter 10 Facial Expressions . In my point of view it is one of
the most difficult issues and I would love to see more examples - photo or
drawing and SW-symbol -

Single- stemmed down arrow is reserved for the direction towards the body.
double-stemmed arrows down in this case would indicate "Eyes Gaze Down" (X,
page 3)

Next frame:

Joe you picked the curved single-stem to the right - indicating that he
moves his right hand like in you (many persons) .
I would rather identify a small up down curve to the right - and therefore I
picked the double-stemmed arrow - do you agree ?
Interesting to me is , that the signer starts with eyes open, eyebrows up -
but ends with his head slightly bent to the right (expressive point of view)
eyes closed - once again the problem - how to write the two faces ---
Thanks for your symbol for head-orientation -- I have to study that - seems
to be one of my ongoing problems

Joe you can see his cheeks filled with air ? The quality of my video isnīt
good enough.
You can identify his mouth with kissing lips ?
(Iīm sorry - I canīt see that neither)
I guess that his eyebrows arenīt up, when he closes his eyes . ???

next frame -

I agree with you - eyebrows up. He looks at his left 3 fingers hand - how to
write that ?
The English explanation for what you wrote (single-stemmed arows down to the
left : "Eyes Gaze Back-Diagonal" My English isnīt good enough but is this
back-diagonal ?

Eyes Gaze forward diagonal is written with single-stemmed arrows upwards to
the right or left! In this case - to be sooooooo exactly you wanted to
indicate down - forward diagonal and at the same time diagonal to the left -
Valerie should help ;-) Do we need double-stemmed arrows down to the left
with the horizontal line ????

For everyday spelling we can forget that - just lift the left hand a litle
bit - now you can watch it with the single-stemmed "Eyes gaze
forward-diagonal!" symbol :-)

What about the left hand - palm facing the body -
What was your idea to "draw" the fingers the way you did - ?
Do you identify the left handshape as a f-hand ? I canīt see that - I voted
for the W-hand -
;-)

I attached my transcription . Would appriciate your feed-back very much