forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3822  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Tue Aug 1, 2000  11:36 pm
Subject:  Re: bible project 2

Hi Joe,

nice to get your answer -

Joe wrote:
> about eye arrows........
>
> Hmmmmm....It makes more sense to use double stemmed arrows; that means
> movement in the wall plane--up/down. You can't move your eyebrows any
other
> way!! I wrote single stems, just being lazy, din't really think it
> mattered.

Wait a minute - I didnīt read your single stems as indicators for
eyebrows-movements - Was that your intention?
I thought of the eye-gaze -which isnīt possible this way ..;-)

> Regarding eye movement, the Signwriting textbook (ch. 10) shows both these
> slanting down at an angle, the double stemmed says "down, to one side,"
> while the single stem says "back, to one side."

Thatīs great that we can refer to the book. Good to know that.

> I can't imagine why we need such a fine distinction. In my mind, the eyes
> look up,down,sideways, in wall plane (double stemmed arrows) and that is
all
> they do. To distinguish between downwards and backwards (??)

I like your questionmarks (same with me!)
Valerie can you help ? What was on your mind " backwards "

is getting
> into a description of where/what the eyes are looking at. And that is a
can
> of worms that even the professional linguists don't want to open!!!
>
> Another thing; the symbol that shows the eyes looking straight ahead is
used
> in Stefan's second face. It looks like an arrow pointing up. That
confuses
> me, and seems contrary to the pictorial nature of SW that is so cool.

Itīs like everything the more often you read this conciously the more you
get familiar with that - and it carrys information!

In
> order to sign to someone, you have to make eye contact--so why do we need
> write this symbol?

You are right - Most of the time I prefer the sympol for open eyes -
type 2DA - on my keyboard)
But you should know that Iīm in the middle of studying the "Goldilocks...."
lessons

There Valerie explains this issue as follows : Normally straight forward
eyegaze is not written, because it is assumed to be the "natural" position,
but in this case, the "shift of the eyegaze" from the diagonal front corner,
to straight forward, must be written, since the eyegaze is acting as a focus
on the placement of the classifiers." ( instruction for SignWriting Level 3
& 4, page 33)
(In this case means: signer Darline refers to different chairs she places at
different locations )

We can discuss - is this true for our Japanes signer as well at this moment
?

The more I learn about facial expressions the more I feel convinced that I
could write a lot better if I could distinguish between the given
possibilities more clearly. Thatīs in the first place a matter of knowing
about grammar of DGS, on the other hand it is a problem to be able to
develop criterias to be able to see the differences that are performed by
deaf signers. So I have to learn to watch carefully !!!!

But itīs good to know that you can look up the various possibilities of
facial expressions - I have a hard time to interpret the differences and
would love to see and discuss examples for every single description (mouth,
eyebrows, eyesgaze, nose, tension ...)

Concerning the worms -
I guess that we donīt need this tooo accurate transcribing for
everyday -writing - (no way- my students are waiting for new materials every
day!!)But on the other hand - in case I know how to write - itīs up to me to
use is or not . On the other hand if I donīt know how to itīs not ok for me
to claim that I donīt need these differences . ;-)

All the best
Stefan ;-)

  Message 3822  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index