forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3836  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Sun Aug 6, 2000  2:06 pm
Subject:  Re: New Special Feature Posted on the Web!

Dear Ingvild, Valerie and listmembers

On Saturday I read your "Terminology in the making .." paper the first time.
On Sunday I read it again .
I want to sent my congratulations to both of you. Terrific job!!! ;-)
The content of the paper itself is - at least in my point of view - a big
point in introducing the advantages of using the Sutton SignWriting system
to the
interested reader. If you are going to compare the descriptions (in English
words) and the symbol in SW - for a special sign - you can understand what
Iīm talking about.
Looking at the SW symbol you have to admit: Yes thatīs it.
It is because of this

" pictorial nature of SW that is so cool. " as Joe Martin stated on August
1st- ;-)

(BTW Iīm happy to learn from you how to express myself better !!;-) )

What I like most within your article is your ability to lead the reader
along the road how to behave , what to keep in mind, which questions to
answer while you are going to "make" a new sign for a special term.

I like it to have a look at other SL as well and to check the possibilities
to make loans of them. On the other hand you demonstrate so clearly that you
are going to check differences within the conceptions.

When you informed us that SL is well -established in Norway as a
teaching-language - I felt very happy for your deaf students and teachers
!!!!. In my point of view there is no other chance to learn as much of a
content but to understand the concepts first (doesnīt matter what language
whatsoever and afterwards to learn , how to read, write, comunicate this
concept within the concepts of the language of the hearing (literature).
Here we see the importance to develop very carefully meaningfull signs in
order to be as clear as possible. Without SW there is hardly any chance to
build up in time a dictionary with new develeped terms - the video-tape
collections, CD - movies, drafts and photos with arrows ... well they could
be an additional help - but once you know to use SW you would prefer this as
a source for information because it seems to be the most accurate way to
describe what kind of movement- (along with the other parameters ) you want
to describe.

I was amused by your description of electrical-charge. Thanks you for
sharing. This kind of brilliant cooperation with our "students" who become
our teachers if it comes down to the feeling of Signlanguage is soooo
important. I bet that you get many many suggestions because your students
have learned during time that you appreciate their contributions and that
they are a part of a very important process - developing and enriching
terminology for comunication and better education of the Deaf!
Congratulations for that and a friendly hello to your students. They are
doing great !! (and tell the student who developed the sign for
electrical-charge that I copied it to YOUR dictionary ;-)
He should get the chance to find his own sign in your latest update as well
??? )

I wish I would be able to tell you that we are on the way to develop some
kind of dictionary for educational purposes . We are not and far away from
being able to discuss contents. But your paper could become a very very
important fundament to discuss the need for projects like this. The problem
and most obvious difference will be however - that we have got in Germany a
variety of many dialects in DGS - that means that many people (competent
signers) have to be involved. In addition to that DGS is no accepted
language at schools for the deaf. There are only one or two exceptions. DGS
is not
accepted and acknowledged as a language on itīs own --- but the Government
is going to debate this issue in October or November again - as far as Iīm
informed.

As I said before we are way behind here in Germany.

The positive aspect of this posting is that we can refer to that. People can
download the pdf -document.The interested reader who is on his way to
question his method, who is prepared for new ideas , who is interested in
finding a way to develop and preserve the important terms in Signlanguage
for special purposes (especially the terms we need at school for teaching
the various subjects ) will find numerous hints and associations that
might help to initiate a similar project.

Absolutely great is the possibility to download the SW-Dictionary. With
SignWriter 4.3 everybody in the world can look at it. There is such a gerat
chance to exchange, to discuss, to enrich ... Iīm so convinced that this
kind of exchange can support many friends of signlanguage and especially the
people who are interested to learn how to prepare written documents in SL
written in SW.
I could download the SW- Dictionary "physno" a few minutes ago. I didnīt
know how to get from the zip -file to my SW- file - but trial and error
helped me through. To switch to the dictionary is no problem at all . I
browsed through the terms. The SWPHYSNO gives a lot of information - there
are sooooo many terms I have got no idea how to sign the same thing in
DGS -( So much to be done - for our German Deaf competent signers ;-) ) and
the SW-users ;-)
On the other hand there is so much opportunity to check the own reading
abilities in SW. I would love to ask back for the one or other
interpretation of your spelling -- if you donīt mind ;-) ?!

Thank you so much for your great job.

Stefan ;-)

I few seconds ago I had a first glance at your