forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3926  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Sep 17, 2000  4:11 am
Subject:  "Not enough memory to run SignWriter" ;-)

SignWriting List
September 16, 2000

Dear SW List Members:

Today I happened upon a solution to a long-standing problem, and
apparently the solution was right "under our noses" all along!

Occassionally (only on some Windows computers), the SignWriter
program refuses to open, and instead this message appears:

"Not enough memory to run SignWriter"

Which is silly, since SignWriter uses very little memory!!

The reason this happens is that SignWriter was designed to use
"low-level memory". And sometimes the Windows operating system,
combined with other software you are using, captures the low level
memory to use it for other things...which leaves no low-level memory
left for SignWriter. So the program cannot open.

But today I learned how to solve the problem. You need to move MS-DOS
from High memory to Low memory (only when you use SignWriter). This
is easy to do, and you only need to do this once. It will not change
how you work with any other software on your computer.

Here is how to do that....

1. Do not exit to MS-DOS. Stay in Windows, and open the SW folder
with all the SW files in it.
2. Select the icon for the SignWriter program, which is "sw" or
"sw.exe", and under File, choose Properties.
3. Under Properties, choose Program.
4. Under Program, choose Advanced.
5. Under Advanced Program settings (see attached file):
6. Click on "MS-DOS" mode, and then choose: Specify a new MS-DOS configuration.
7. Change DOS=HIGH....to....DOS=LOW
8. Then click on OK.

You will now have a special icon you can double-click on, to start
SignWriter, and it will follow the configuration you just
established...without changing how any of your other programs work.

Attached is a GIF showing you the Advanced settings screen.

I will be placing complete pictorial instructions on our web site in time....

Have a wonderful Sunday!
Attachment
lowmemory.gif
Type: image/gif

3927 Re: "Not enough memory to run SignWriter" ;-) Stefan Woehrmann Sun  9/17/2000
3928 Re: "Not enough memory to run SignWriter" ;-) Valerie Sutton Sun  9/17/2000

  Message 3926  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index