forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4031  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  denny99
Date:  Sun Oct 15, 2000  4:33 pm
Subject:  Re: SW and very young children

Stefan may I have permission to quote the enclosure on my web site.
https://www.geocities.com/~denny99
Thanking you in advance..
Denny Lancaster
denny99@dibbs.net

Stefan Woehrmann wrote:

Dear Valerie and listmembers, especially the teachers and counselors and parents who are interested in working with very young children (hearing or deaf) may be interested in this little story. My little son Gordian is 2 years and three months old. He is often with me and has already realized that these arm-movements and the facial expressions are something special if I´m in contact with Deaf people. Whenever he watches a signer on TV he starts to perform facial expressions and moves his little hands and arms - OK. Some day a week ago he watched his brothers reading SW-falshcards. Just out of fun  we showed to little Gordian the SW-flashcard for cat and told him -  "die Katze"(the cat)  and performed the sign for cat. Gordian isn´t able to articulate all the German words properly - so he never would say "die Katze" . He addresses the cat as "miau" . The lion is "uaah", the sheep is " baeh"  etc. He can understand the word if he hears it - but he has another name if he wants to comunicate about it. This little boy is able read 20 SW signs !! He is on the way to perform the signs in a amusing cute way.It seems so much fun to him !! Again and again he comes upstairs and asks for the "miau" . It´s a good possibility to meet his father as well - I understand -- ha ha haSo who knows - perhaps he would write this story somehow different -  SW ist great - Papa has time to play with me !!! All the best Stefan ;-)       He is only interested in SW-signs that carry important information. crocodile, lion, name-signs of his brothers, Mama,

--
Denny Lancaster
mailto:denny99@dibbs.net

D'Wild West
Sheriff Information, Tall Tales, Out Riders
https://www.thesitefights.com/team26/

Our D'Wild West Spirit Pages
https://www.geocities.com/~denny99/sitefights.htm

Our Home Page-Lancasters Laughing Place
https://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/6403

Talking Hands Award Section-Teaching Excellence
https://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/6403/talking.htm

True Believers Section-Child like faith
https://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/6403/true.htm

Heartland Community Leader Help Section
https://www.geocities.com/~denny99/communit.htm
CL Class date 3/9/99

disABILITY Compliance Alliance (DCA)
https://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Stream/1005/

True Believers Web Ring-The Alpha and Omega
https://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/4361/

Build It Accessable-They Will Come and Learn
https://www.cast.org/bobby/
https://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/what/index.html
https://aware.hwg.org/
https://validator.w3.org/

Editor T.H.E. News (Hoods/Geo News)
Editor T.H.E. Story Time
https://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/6047/

"May the force be with you, for the truth is out there!"

  Message 4031  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index