forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6078  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  GS-Media
Date:  Thu Dec 27, 2001  11:50 am
Subject:  Re: ZURICH: Publishing Your First SW Story

Dear Val,

Thank you again for your help.
Actually, our team has written the transcription of the Noah text as you
suggested - the whole story with the signs as they appear, no
accompanying German glosses, directly in SignWriter 4.4. (What we sent
you before is from a separate word list file for Noah, intended for a
short glossary we want to put at the end of the story.) When the team
comes back to the office after New Years, we'll send you a SW4.4. and
Quicktime version of a sentence.

Now, hopefully, you'll get back to spending some more time with your
Florida family.

with warm greetings,
Penny

Valerie Sutton schrieb:

> SignWriting List
> December 21, 2001
>
> QUESTION FROM ZURICH PROJECT:
> >some approximation of how much space the SW and corresponding
> >German translation for each sentence/paragraph takes, plus an idea of
> >how the symbols actually look when all strung together.
>
> VAL'S ANSWER:
> Sadly, your first document will be a problem for you, because you do
> not have the whole story typed in SignWriting in SignWriter 4.4.
> Instead you typed individual glosses of the signs out of order from
> the story, without writing them in the context of the grammar and
> structure of the sign-sentences in the story.
>
> So in the future, type sentences from the beginning, without thinking
> in terms of glosses.
>
> The videotape you sent me is only individual glosses, so I cannot
> help you without seeing sign-sentences in their entirety.
>
> So here is my suggestion:
>
> 1. Let us give the first "complete sign-sentence" in the Noah story a
> name...let's call it "Noah1".
>
> 2. Ask your Deaf staff to type Noah1 directly in SignWriting without
> any spoken language, in SignWriter 4.4. Put in the facial
> expressions, and the shifting from right to left and other
> grammatical features that make it a real sentence. Name the SGN file
> "Noah1". (just one sign sentence - that is all).
>
> 3. Ask your technicians to create a QuickTime videoclip of Noah1.
>
> 4. Then send me the Quicktime and SGN file for Noah1.
>
> I can then prepare one sentence for you in vertical columns, so your
> layout artist can assess how much room it will take....
>
> How does that sound?
> --
> Val ;-)
>
> Valerie Sutton
>

> SignWritingSite:
> https://www.SignWriting.org
>
> SignWriting List Archives:

VCard
Penny Boyes Braem

GS-MEDIA

Oerlikonerstrasse 98

CH-8057 Zürich

Schweiz

Cell: 078 6622309
Fax: ++41 (0)1 312-1362
Home: ++41 (0)61 361-7936
Work: ++41 (0)1 312-4850

  Replies Author Date
6082 ARABIA: New Web Posting! Valerie Sutton Thu  12/27/2001
6086 Re: ARABIA: New Web Posting! Dan Parvaz Thu  12/27/2001
6087 Re: ARABIA: New Web Posting! Dan Parvaz Thu  12/27/2001
6092 Re: ARABIA: New Web Posting! Valerie Sutton Fri  12/28/2001

  Message 6078  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index