forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6233  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jan 23, 2002  2:53 am
Subject:  Re: Your opinions

SignWriting List
January 22, 2002

Rikki - Thank you for the message below. Of course you are right. If
your masters degree thesis is in research, and the focus has to be
"new", then clearly helping us with an "old" computer program like
SignWriter (that has been in use for 15 years now), is hardly your
project! But thank you very much for offering to help, and if you
choose SignWriting for a new project, we will always be interested.

>Rikki in Japan wrote:

Hello list members, and specially everyone that made
>suggestions.
>
>Thank you so much for your cooperation. As you all
>know, I'm still on the very beggining of my research,
>and my problems right now were around choosing a theme
>to propose to enter the masters. For now, I've tried
>to pass by with something by the lines "research on
>representation and communication of sign language in
>computers using SW"... and hope they accept me in :)
>
>And as most of you must know too, choosing a master's
>project doesn't depend only on my. If it did, I would
>go for this interface thing right now - as more than
>anything I want to be useful. Things have to be
>discussed with my supervisor (in japanese... :), and
>we have to come to agreements. Also, not only useful,
>master projects must have "new technology (algorithms,
>etc.) development", otherwise it's not accepted as
>research. It's a formal barrier, but it's there. So
>even saying that I go for the windows interface, I
>would definately HAVE TO work on new "fancy things",
>otherwise my project would not be classified as a
>proper thesis. Do you know what I mean?
>
>But I WILL consider with much care all the requests
>and suggestions, and try to "include" them in whatever
>project I come to develop. Right now I'm very busy
>with another project development (an educational
>material (software), that teaches JSL in English),
>which must be finished (at least the prototype) by the
>middle of next month.
>
>Let's all pray that whatever result comes out of it,
>it'll be something really useful for the deaf
>community in the world.
>
>And any idea or thing I even think about developing,
>I'll be talking to you all, guys.
>

>Warm hugs!
>
>Rikki
>(^o^)

  Replies Author Date
6237 Re: Your opinions Flavio Medina Wed  1/23/2002
6238 Re: Your opinions Valerie Sutton Wed  1/23/2002

  Message 6233  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index