forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6448  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Mar 5, 2002  2:52 am
Subject:  Re: French Swiss new questions

SignWriting List
March 4, 2002

Regarding dictionaries in French Sign Language in SignWriting....No
one has developed one yet. You can create your own French Sign
Language dictionary with SignWriter 4.4 or SignBank 2002...

It is best to start with SignWriter 4.4. I know you are on a
Macintosh, Anny, but I use SignWriter 4.4 daily on my Macintosh. I
purchased a special program called Virtual PC that makes that
possible. If you don't want to do that, that is fine...Just find
someone at your school who has a Windows 95, 98 or ME computer, and
then ask that person to learn to use SignWriter 4.4.

There are several groups in Europe that use SignWriter 4.4...so maybe
you can arrange a workshop for your teachers to learn the program?

SignBank 2002 runs in FileMaker 5.0 or later, and it is on Windows
and the Macintosh, but it is a specially-designed program that isn't
like other FileMaker programs...it is our unique design for
SignWriting dictionaries. It will not be available until Fall, 2002.
We are beta testing it for the next few months, and our FileMaker
programmer is working on improvments right now...

You can read more about SignBank on these web pages:

SignBank Lessons Online (partially finished)
https://www.SignBank.org/help

SignBank will include 8 different "portals" to view the data....

1: Search for signs by words
2: Search for words by signs
3: Search for signs with the same symbols
4: Picture Dictionary with SignWriting
5: Video Dictionary with SignWriting
6: Animated signs written in SignWriting
7: View the Sign-Symbol-Sequence
8: Multi-Lingual Dictionaries

Then there is another section for those who create the dictionaries,
called the SignBank Editor, and another section for SymbolBank, the
archive for SignWriting symbols.

Children as young as five years old will be testing SignBank in
Albuquerque, New Mexico - there will be four classrooms of young deaf
children who will be using it...so far two teachers have told me that
they look forward to number 3 above...to play with the children,
asking them to search for all the signs that include "a certain
handshape"...that really is popular among the teachers. They will be
testing SignBank in April -

So...perhaps in the Fall, if your school is interested, they will
enjoy using SignBank too...I hope so!

___________________________

Valerie Sutton

....visit the...

SignWritingSite
https://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

DanceWritingSite
https://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

MovementWritingSite
https://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write Movement & Gesture

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
tel: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Message 6448  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index