forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6572  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stuart Thiessen
Date:  Wed Mar 20, 2002  7:27 pm
Subject:  Re: "Morphology Module"

Sort of ... I guess maybe my idea is more "convoluted" than the other search
routines. For example, in ASL, the sign GO, is 2 index hands moving in the
direction of the action. Now, there are "inflections" that change that
sign, such as repetitive movements which give the idea of going frequently,
or once in a while, or regularly, or (with appropriate facial expressions)
going tiredly or whatever. My idea for the "morphology module" concept is
if there are standard movements or facial expressions which tend to modify
signs to produce a standard change in meaning, maybe those could be
catalogued in the morphology module and then when I put in the symbols for
go, the morphology module could also look for signs that employ these
"modifications" to give me alternative meanings or related signs. Like "to
attend" is usually the sign for "to go repeatedly". That kind of thing.

Maybe it's something for SignBank 2004 <grin>

Stuart

Stuart Thiessen
Des Moines, IA