forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6605  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Nitsu Pikkupyora
Date:  Fri Mar 22, 2002  7:42 am
Subject:  Re: Nitsu Pikkupyora from Finland

Hello everybody!

Yes, I've been reading your messages with a great interest for more than a half year now... :)

Let me finaly introduce myself. I'm a sign language interpreter student from Finland. I  knew some Sign Writing ( and also some Finnish Sign Language) before I  was accepted to the SL-interpreter school.  I heard about SW from a person who knew Steve Parkhurst and I was immediately fascinated by a thought of writing SLs. Last summer (2001) I went to Spain to Parkhursts to learn SW.

In Finland, SW is a really new thing - only a couple of people know how to write and read it, this is, maybe some three or five hearing persons do ( according to my understanding).  I've thought I would do my Diploma work about SW in practise. That would include gathering information about persons using it (who, where, how, how much etc.). It would be a kind of  basic research about it. Then later on  I could refere to the results and say:  well, it might be worth of trying it here in Finland also... As I believe it really might be worth of that :)

I've planned to come this summer (2002) to USA, North Dakota, to study SL related things. If  you happened to be somewhere around and had good ideas or other thigs you wanted to share with me, please let me know about it. I 'll need all the information  I can get, so all the ideas, tips and thoughts are warmely welcomed.

So now I've stepped out of shades, in other words, now you know I exist :)

Nitsu :)

6609 Re: Nitsu Pikkupyora from Finland Valerie Sutton Fri  3/22/2002
6610 Re: Nitsu Pikkupyora from Finland Valerie Sutton Fri  3/22/2002
6614 Re: Nitsu Pikkupyora from Finland Nitsu Pikkupyora Fri  3/22/2002

  Message 6605  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index