forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1479  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Jun 17, 1999  1:53 pm
Subject:  Re: ASL Video Transcriptions

>I have met very few native ASL users who are capable of translating the
>Bible. What we will do is the rough copy, others will improve it later.
>Pastor Ronald H. Dettloff
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron, I think your translations of the Bible passages into ASL are great,
and I am impressed with how much you have accomplished!

I know you asked me for help, and since I am not an expert in ASL, I have
been trying to think through ways that I can help. That is why I have been
sharing ideas on doing ASL translations.

I guess there are three kinds of translations...

translations for Deaf people
translations with Deaf people
translations by Deaf people

The middle one may be a way to go for your Bible translations...Perhaps a
team of hearing and Deaf people working together? People native to English
can explain what a passage means. Then native signers can "re-tell it" in
ASL. Then everyone can try to write the ASL passage in SignWriting.

And maybe one of your congregation members knows how to create a web page?
There are lots of people today who enjoy doing web design. Then you can
post your translations as they happen, creating an ASL Bible web site,
connected with your Deaf Church -

Best of luck with all this - you have taken on a large task!

Valerie :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Replies Author Date
1482 Re: ASL Video Transcriptions Stuart Thiessen Thu  6/17/1999

  Message 1479  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index