forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3032  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Mar 9, 2000  3:44 pm
Subject:  Making QuickTime Video Clips

On 3/9/00, Angus B. Grieve-Smith wrote:
> To create a video clip your computer needs a video capture card; I
>don't know if Mark has one or not. Most cards come with software to edit
>the clips and convert them to QuickTime or .avi format.
>
> I've been emailing video files to my professor at UNM, and I've
>found that they can get pretty big: depending on the frame rate,
>resolution and color depth they can be over a megabyte for a few seconds
>of video. It turns out that by using a compression program, I can reduce
>that to under 100KB per second of video. Zip compression works for
>Windows and Unix, and Mac users can use Stuffit.
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith

---------------------------------

SignWriting List
March 9, 2000

Thank you, Angus, for this great information. It was just what I
needed to know.

So a computer has to have a video card to be able to create the
QuickTime movies? - that makes sense.

I guess other computers can still read the QuickTime movies, even if
they don't have a video card?...they just can't create them, without
a video card...is that correct?

Since the files are likely to become very large, I personally vote
not to get into making Quicktime movies for the SignWriting List
work, since .GIF's and attached .SGN files seem to be working...do
you agree with me? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help -