forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3138  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Mar 19, 2000  3:50 pm
Subject:  SW Video Transcription Course Online

SignWriting List
March 19, 2000

Dear SignWriting List Members:

I would like to propose the following for those interested in
participating in a SignWriting Video Transcription Course online:

1. All participants have to own the SAME video to take the course.
2. Once everyone has the video, everyone tries to write the first
sign in SignWriting.
3. Everyone makes a .GIF of their first sign.
4. They send the .GIF to the SignWriting List with questions.
5. Then I send my final .GIF showing how I would write the same sign,
with my answers to their questions.

After awhile we could get into grammar and sentences...it might be
valuable for others on the List too.

So I first have to know if there is anyone interested in this?

If so, we have three video choices:

1. Japanese Sign Language translation of Bible passages (provided by
Mark in Japan).
2. ASL poetry (provided by the DAC ;-)
3. ASL storytelling (provided by the DAC ;-)

I would suggest that we slowly transcribe all three videos, starting
with the Japanese Sign Language, if Mark Penner is willing.

The Japanese videos are a good place to start, since the signing is
not natural conversation..it is scripted because they are doing exact
translations of English or Japanese spoken language. So the facial
expressions are not as "Deaf-Deaf" because they are signing to a
hearing audience, even though the signers are Deaf themselves.
(Please know Mark, that this is no criticism...I think your videos
are terrific and you have no choice but to be scripted because that
is what you are doing - signing scripts - so they are excellent
videos ;-).

Then, after transcribing a little Japanese Sign Language, we can then
switch to transcribing poetry and storytelling. Our ASL videos are
"very Deaf", signed by one of two native signers...Darline Clark
Gunsauls or her brother, Kevin Clark....both native signers telling
the story, or telling the poetry naturally to a Deaf audience. It is
not scripted. There are a great deal of facial expressions and
gestures that are more mime-like than the scripted Bible passages.
Some of it has no real English equivalent.

Participants will have to order the videos and pay for them, plus postage.

So .....

1. Who wants to participate in SignWriting Video Transcription?

2. Mark...can you provide us with a short video of Japanese Sign
Language? How much will it cost, plus postage?

Look forward to hearing from you -

SignWriting List Help
web page address coming soon ;-)

  Replies Author Date
3139 Re: SW Video Transcription Course Online Valerie Sutton Sun  3/19/2000
3147 Re: SW Video Transcription Course Online Mark Penner Tue  3/21/2000
3154 Re: SW Video Transcription Course Online Valerie Sutton Tue  3/21/2000
3162 Re: SW Video Transcription Course Online Mark Penner Thu  3/23/2000
3164 Re: SW Video Transcription Course Online Valerie Sutton Thu  3/23/2000
3170 Re: SW Video Transcription Course Online Akehurst Thu  3/23/2000
3171 Re: SW Video Transcription Course Online Valerie Sutton Thu  3/23/2000

  Message 3138  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index