forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3177  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Mar 24, 2000  2:55 am
Subject:  Re: How to Transcribe Videos in SW, Part 1

On 3/22/00, Mark Penner wrote:
>Yes. It will be interesting to see what expressions are percieved as
>important by signers from various countries. When we do the editing for our
>videos, we find that eyeblinks are major cues in telling us where to fade
>in and fade out naturally. But perhaps only a linguist would be interested
>in recording all that detail. A Japanese signer would do the eyeblinks
>automatically when they came to the end of the sentence or started a
>paragraph, without being told to do it by facial expressions.

SignWriting List
March 23, 2000

The eyeblinks sound fascinating, Mark, and I too think that is most
likely quite important from a linguistic perspective. And it may be
that Japanese Sign Language grammar is unique in that sense...

But I will not be teaching the linguistic analysis of anything.
Instead I am going to teach basic movement analysis and how to write
anything you see. If it is an eyeblink, we will discuss how to write
that...but not from a linguistic perspective, but instead from a
movement perspective.

That is why it is too bad, in a way, that you know Japanese Sign
Language yourself, because it will be harder for you to divorce
yourself from the meaning...but you can "pretend" you don't know the
signs - ha! ;-)

PS. Maybe I should teach you all DanceWriting instead...hmmm....

PPS. The next stage will be to write ASL poetry, and the piece I have
is close to being gesture or "mime-like", so that will give people an
excellent exercise in writing movement for "movement's sake"...since
they are not all "recognizable ASL signs" but instead almost like
acting out a scene, portraying a gripping, spiritual poem...