forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3768  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Fri Jul 7, 2000  9:39 pm
Subject:  Re: rotation symbols and directions

Hi Valerie, hello Ingvild, he Jerry , hi Angus, hi *Joe, hi Charles ... and
everybody

it`s very nice from you to give me the feeling that itīs not me alone who is
too studid to understand these things. And Valerie you are right - itīs so
interesting - although none of my students would be able to explain this
question - nevertheless none of them made any mistake in moving his hands -
showing that kind of rotation movement - I want to describe -
So these are two different issues -- to be able to acept movement spelling
for a well -known sign and to be able to analyze this spelling.
I feel happy to get encouraged by Ingvild and Jerry to keep up my
curiosity - until I have found the underlying concept.

When I read your description and analyzed your gifs - I got the idea that -
perhaps I have understood one principle.

So I sat down and wrote different rotation signs (just phantasie - no
typical DGS - sign as far as I know ;-) )
While I wrote two spellings - one for the curve of the thumb and the next
time the same movement showing (describing) the curve of the baby-finger - I
found out - that the end and startpositions have to be placed differently in
order not to confuse the reader.

So - please have a look at my "work-sheet" and let me know - if you donīt
agree with this .

(I know that YOU (Valerie) are working behind the scenes very hard - so
donīt feel pushed to do anything if you donīt feel comfortable!)

(When I write these signs - I use another methaper for me myself. I think of
a boxingglove . It is round and you can paint the arrows in front or
behind ) looking from above - you can imagine - how the arrows (curved
because of the curved surface of the glove) would move while you rotate your
arm clockwise or counterclockwise - Just in case somebody is interested !)

Stefan ;-)