forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3764  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Ingvild Roald
Date:  Fri Jul 7, 2000  11:21 am
Subject:  Re: rotation symbols and directions

I am confused too. Because sometimes the little finger is supposed to lead,
and sometimes the thumb. How would an outsider know which one 'felt' right?
The rotations made in ASL feels all wrong in Norwegian SL, so, as I know I
have said before, I would prefer symbols to mean 'clockwise' and
'anti-clockwise'. Then we would know what was meant.
(I just had to go back into the sign file for the paper that is to be posted
soon, to change the ASL 'ion' rotation - I had forgotten when I first wrote
the sign that even if the handshapes are exatly the same as in NoSL and in
FiSL, the rotation is opposite).

Ingvild

>From: Stefan Woehrmann
>To: SignWriting List
>Subject: Re: Lucky
>Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 23:54:36 +0200
>
>Valerie`s comment on Angus` spelling of lucky with rotation
>

> > Your rotation arrows were going in the wrong direction. The curved
> > part of the arrow paints the path of the baby finger rotating out
> > from the chin.
>
>Hi Valerie, Angus, *Joe and everybody
>

>I was sooooo confused when I read this!
>What do you mean by "wrong direction" .
>
>I looked at the sign again and again when I saw it the first time - (O.k .
>the arrowheads were wrong - no problem - black for the right hand -
>there hasnīt been any facial expression nor the area where to brush while
>the whole hand rotates while the forearm is up - Angus wrote the start
>position back of the hand showing to the right side - so rotation wouldnīt
>cause any brush )
>
>In short - I didnīt understand - what was on his mind. So I asked for a
>more detailed spelling and offered various possibilities. As you can see in
>my gif - I stick to the direction of the rotation arrows - I have had no
>idea that it would be possible to say :
>

>Your rotation arrows were going in the wrong direction.
>

>How do I know - or should I know - what kind of rotation direction is on
>his
>mind ? How do you know ?
>
>I mean we are not discussing a meaningfull sign and its spelling in ASL --
>we are just discussing a rotation - movement of the right forearm - the
>hand-shape allows a brush -contact with the middlefinger at the body
> exactly - as we learned later at the (edge) of the chin but I wasnīt
>informed about the rotation
>

> The curved part of the arrow paints the path of the baby finger rotating
>out
> > from the chin.
>
>Looking at my variations of the sign I realized that I had that in mind.
>The
>arrow written obove of the hand should indicate exactly what you discussed
>to be wrong/impossible?
>You can see that I made differences - palm to the left or facing the
>signer,
>and changed the point of contact --
>

>You think he didnīt want it this way ? What made you believe this ?
>
>Why shouldnīt you move your hand (babyfinger) away from your chin while the
>thumb comes closer to the chin two times - performing a little brush
>contact
>with the middlefinger at the chin ?
>
>So not understanding your answer shows me, that I am in need to learn more
>about rotational movement - symbols !
>
>(Big sigh !! Excuse me !!)
>
>See next message
>
>Stefan ;-)

> > Here are the signs I know for "lucky", "luck", "for-for?" and
> > "smart". They all use similar movements. I am no great expert - a
> > Deaf person or native signer should write these signs...

> [...]

  Replies Author Date
3765 Re: rotation symbols and directions Valerie Sutton Fri  7/7/2000
3766 Re: rotation symbols and directions Jerry Spillman Fri  7/7/2000
3767 Re: rotation symbols and directions Valerie Sutton Fri  7/7/2000
3768 Re: rotation symbols and directions Stefan Woehrmann Fri  7/7/2000
3769 Re: rotation symbols and directions Valerie Sutton Fri  7/7/2000
3770 Re: rotation symbols and directions Valerie Sutton Fri  7/7/2000
3771 Re: rotation symbols and directions Jerry Spillman Sat  7/8/2000
3772 Re: rotation symbols and directions Stefan Woehrmann Sat  7/8/2000
3774 Re: rotation symbols and directions Stefan Woehrmann Sat  7/8/2000

  Message 3764  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index