forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3910  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Sat Sep 9, 2000  9:15 pm
Subject:  cued speech and SW flash-cards

Dear Valerie and List Members,

Here is my classroom-report number xyz ;-)

school has started 2 weeks ago. Iīm soooooooo busy to get SW materials
prepared. Our first grade students are now second grade but our learning
group has changed. Four other little students are with us together now -
first grade. So now we try to get along with 8 students - (first grade and
second grade) in one class-room.
Without the support of SW I wouldnīt have any idea how to get things done.
But now - the experienced students can learn on their own - translating SW-
sentences into German, learning vocabularies , typing at the
computer --teaching the new students what they have to learn first -
comunication.

Three of them a wearing a CI which meant to them no exposure to SL before -
whatsoever ? Of course they have hat some eclectic kind of family - signs -
but they donīt understand whatīs going on. They are unable to inform us.
They are unable to answer questions. They are unable to ask anything!!

They are unable to speak --- hmmm - For how long would people, parents,
teachers ...the children themselves accept this state of lack of
communicative skills in order to "wait for auditory nerves to grow "
Of course - deaf children are in a special position after CI surgery.

What do they hear ? Who can tell us ? Well they realize the music is on or
off - but were unable to learn a couple of German words. ...

When the parents were informed that there child will be in contact with
Irina and her classmates - they were confronted with the issue of Sign
Language.
They havenīt had any contact with signing children before.The CI was
expected to be the big blessing that would cure this disability.

And now - they entered our classroom wich is packed with SW -
exercise-sheets all over the place. These strange circles, arrows ... this
compicated, meaningless "Chinese" ----

Well - I explained my point of view and stressed that their children will
have to learn Sign Language in order to become competent partners within our
group. I told them that SW will become a very important tool. I explained
this new system - Sign Writing. You may imagine that they looked pretty much
skeptical -

Hmmm. And then - little Irina started to translate - reading out loud the
SW-sentences from the screen. Afterwards she went to the blackboard and
wrote 2 little German sentences ( without any mistake) . Danny started to
type on the computer and wrote a German sentence in SW and pointed at the
SW- spellings while he translated in perfect German!
Hannan started to count from 1 - 20 - She went to the blackboard and wrote "
Pause" both in SW and in German - Linda took an excercise - sheet and signed
the sentences -

Wow - this kind of demonstration is much more convincing than a thousand
word lecture!

The parents accepted to wait for the first experiences with this completely
new orientation. So we started as before - reading and writing SW - numbers.
Hi Valerie - the new Sutton Fonts in Windows are a tremndous help for this !
Thank you soooo much !

Contrary to the time a year ago - I feel much more secure about using SW
during my lessons. The second day at school - on Friday the new students -
who had never seen the sign for cat, blue or red, for Irina or Danny were
really able ( !!!!!!!!!!!) to read and understand the first SW - signs for
the numbers - 1- 5 (o.k - no problem) , colours, names -- believe it or
not but they were able to use their heads for learning the first symbols so
quickly.
Irina and Danny are excellent teachers. Especially Irina - but more about
that later.

Now Iīm in the beginning of a very very exciting experience. I am on my way
to develop a list of flashcards which should support my little friends to
get as quickly as possible informed about the relationship between the
letter in the German Alphabet and the sound (Phonem) the children are
supposed to perform- while looking at this letter.

I am so fascinated that this system (SW) is such a wonderfull highway to the
brain.

So my question is if any of you teachers in the literacy-project have
already written "cued-speech" flash-cards.
German is a very difficult language - even for the hearing. The letters are
pronounced pretty much differently depending on the context - that is the
reason that so many hearing students have great trouble to write German
without too many mistakes.
But the Deaf - wow - well you probably know what Iīm talking about starting
the articulation - courses with my little friends.
Please have a look at my gif. This is not the end but the second stage of
development. The list isnīt complete and I have still to put the signs in a
special order. These signs arenīt any "official" cued speech signs but are
helpfull to support the children in articulating what they are asked for --
(more or less ;-) ) Iīm interested in your feedback concerning my writing.
In order to help you to get an idea of the pronouniciation that is
associated with the written sign I looked for english words and underlined
that letter that should be represented .. (excuse my English ;-) )

All the best

Stefan ;-)

P.S SignWriting is so wonderfull

Attachment
Artikulationshilen SW unterstrichen.gif
Type: image/gif

3911 Re: cued speech and SW flash-cards Nancy Cole Sun  9/10/2000
3912 Re: cued speech and SW flash-cards Stefan Woehrmann Sun  9/10/2000
3913 cued speech and SW flash-cards Stefan Woehrmann Sun  9/10/2000
3914 Re: cued speech and SW flash-cards Valerie Sutton Sun  9/10/2000
3922 Re: cued speech and SW flash-cards Amy Ruberl Mon  9/11/2000
3915 Re: cued speech and SW flash-cards Nancy Cole Sun  9/10/2000
3916 Re: CI's (OFF TOPIC) Stuart Thiessen Sun  9/10/2000

  Message 3910  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index