forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4914  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Nancy Cole
Date:  Sun May 6, 2001  2:41 pm
Subject:  Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture

I never had any problems with incorporating Deaf Culture into SW.  When you
use ASL that is a very important part of Deaf Culture.  SW can be used with
any books.  My husband and I are changing whatever books we can get ahold of
into SW.  I think importantly to help you out would be getting a Deaf person
to sign the story and you can gloss the words then change into SW.  That is
what we are doing.  Also, the students are creating their own stories, so
that in a sense has a part of themselves in it.  Goldilocks is written into
ASL Signwriting so it is indeed a very important part of Deaf Culture, but
you can use any book to change into SW.  It takes alittle bit of work, but
worth it!  Ok, I'm off the soapbox.

Smile Everyone!
Nancy

  Replies Author Date
4937 Re: SignWriting and Deaf culture Valerie Sutton Tue  5/8/2001

  Message 4914  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index