forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6190  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Susanne Bentele
Date:  Wed Jan 16, 2002  7:54 am
Subject:  Re: Questions for a Notation Comparisons Study

>>Stefan wrote: Mich interessiert einfach noch ein bisschen zum
>>Hintergrund - Was f ÿÿ eine Arbeit schreibst du ? Vergleichst du
>>HamNosys mit Geb Ê° denSchrift ? - oder andere
>>Notationssysteme - Stokoe, Intersign, ...???
>

>SignWriting List
>January 15, 2002
>
>I believe you are asking what the comparison will be? I believe
>Susanne told me that she is comparing SignWriting with
>linguistically-based notation systems such as HamNoSys, Stokoe, and
>two others...I am not sure...

Hi,
yes, that's true, I am comparing different writing systems for sign
languages. The goal is to have an overview on respective merits and
shortcomings of a system, the background why and by whom it was
developed and what the goal were when it was developed. Since this
is only a masters thesis and not a doctoral thesis :-) there is not
time for all the systems. Therefore I made a choice of 5 systems,
namely (in that order): Stokoe-Notation, SignWriting, HamNoSys,
Intersys and SOSO. Intersys is being designed as a writing system
for everyday use by Thomas-Gert Baier in Göttingen/Germany. Mr Baier
started his approach in 1998 and there is not much public literature
on his system. SOSO is short for Semantic Oriented Sign Orthography.
Sonja Erlenkamp (Norway&Germany) designed it for her dissertation, it
is also a rather new approach.
Hope this is what you wanted to know - I'll be happy to tell you more.
(Stefan - did you get my personal mail (8.1.02)?)
Susanne

  Replies Author Date
6196 Questions about SW text editors Flavio Medina Thu  1/17/2002
6200 Re: Questions about SW text editors Valerie Sutton Thu  1/17/2002
6201 Re: Questions about SW text editors Valerie Sutton Thu  1/17/2002
6203 Re: Questions about SW text editors Valerie Sutton Thu  1/17/2002
6212 SignWriting Font (DE) & a request Susanne Bentele Sun  1/20/2002
6213 Re: SignWriting Font (DE) & a request Dan Parvaz Sun  1/20/2002
6215 Re: SignWriting Font (DE) & a request Susanne Bentele Mon  1/21/2002
6221 JAPAN: Questions about SW text editors Valerie Sutton Tue  1/22/2002
6222 Re: JAPAN: Questions SW text editors Valerie Sutton Tue  1/22/2002

  Message 6190  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index