forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6786  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann2
Date:  Sun Apr 14, 2002  5:24 pm
Subject:  presentation of SW in Germany

Hi Valerie and friends of SignWriting,

I am back from a long trip by train - puh -

Yes I have had a wonderfull presentation of SW - or GebaerdenSchrift - as
we call it here in Germany .
There is a Institut in Bavaria that offers a special training for
SL-instructors who are already running their own SL - courses.
Within this project I was invited to present the basics and the background
of SW.
I did this presentation for the first time in German SL - . The attending
participants have been very very kind and accepted my "hearing" dialect
without any complaints-.. ;-)

I would like to share with you my concept: What did I do ?

Well - you remember that I bought the video-series and the instruction books
already some time ago. When I prepared this (5 hour lasting) presentation I
looked at the video- series "Lessons in SignWriting and "Deaf Perspectives
on SignWriting" once again.

I have seen the first two videos in the meantime so often that I can
understand fluently the ASL instruction combined with your voice in the
background.

So I decided to show these videos after I made some comments about the
historic and ...

Nevertheless your new wonderfull, wonderfull PDF Document which you offered
as Download came just in time. These documents offere an excellent
possibility to look at the presented contents after we had looked at the
videos -

Some additional explanations, reading and writing exercises and in the end
the presentation of the Swiss -German sentence of the NOAH - Bible -
tory - presented as wonderfull TT-fonts written both from left to right and
top to down - (see the attachment)
Ha - immediatly we found us in a wonderfull discussions that demonstrated
the benefits of SW.

In the end I donated a CD to the group with some of the PDF - documents
that are offered as downloads plus the German version of SW 4.4 including
the German dictionary with more than 8.600 entries right now.

In the evening we met in an Italian Restaurant - and well you can guess -
Stefan could not stop put writing by hand the signnames of the
participants - they felt very pleased to read their names for the first time
in their own language

Thanks so much for your support

All the best
Stefan ;-))