forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1587  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Jul 26, 1999  6:50 pm
Subject:  Using SignWriting to Teach Math

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Dawn wrote:
>I use SignWriting in Math to show subtraction and addition. SignWrting is
>becoming a main form of communication for us.

>With my deepest gratitude,
>Dawn McReynolds

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

July 26, 1999

Hello Dawn and everyone on the SignWriting List!

I hope you all have enjoyed your June and July :-)

This is the quiet time of year on the SignWriting List. As soon as the
school year begins in late-August (in the schools in the northern
hemisphere), the messages start flowing! So I have been working behind the
scenes, preparing for the wonderful school year ahead of us. This is an
exciting time right now...lots of new developments to share with you. I am
waiting for mid-August, when I know the teachers are returning from their
summer vacations.

I would like to welcome several new members to the SW List. I hope you will
introduce yourselves. We would love to get to know you. In fact, perhaps
some of the long-time members would like to re-introduce yourselves too? -
It is always interesting to hear about your work and why you are using, or
are interested in SignWriting.

And thank you, Dawn, for your two great messages. I am very happy to hear
how much SignWriting has meant to you and your family. Your documented
feedback is very important for other teachers. We are all learning together.

Dr. Karen van Hoek, a linguist skilled in SignWriting, once told me that
using SignWriting to teach Deaf students math and science would be a great
tool...and it seems like you are already experimenting with this, Dawn. I
think this is great!

We would love to hear how it goes. Maybe you can send me some examples of
the lessons you have prepared in math written in SignWriting? I could then
place the diagrams on your web page, to show others the lessons you have
prepared.

I believe Ingvild Roald, in Norway, taught science to her Deaf students,
using SignWriting, and perhaps math? I am not sure....

In regards to the SignWriter Computer Program, you can download the
SignWriter Shareware right now from our web site:

Download SignWriter Shareware
version 4.3 for MS-DOS
https://www.SignWriting.org/sw128.html

The shareware is complete for ASL only. It contains all the Lessons and the
3000 ASL sign dictionary. So it is available to anyone free of charge
anytime!

Write again if you have questions about using the shareware -

Many blessings -

Valerie :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting Web Site
https://www.SignWriting.org

Post messages to the SignWriting List

SignWriting List Archives
https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
PO. Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Replies Author Date
1588 Re: Using SignWriting to Teach Math Ingvild Kristine Roald Tue  7/27/1999
1589 Acronyms for Signed Languages Valerie Sutton Fri  7/30/1999
1590 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Susanne Bentele Fri  7/30/1999
1595 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Valerie Sutton Fri  7/30/1999
1592 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Ingvild Kristine Roald Fri  7/30/1999
1605 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Valerie Sutton Sat  7/31/1999
1598 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Angus B. Grieve-Smith Fri  7/30/1999
1619 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Valerie Sutton Tue  8/3/1999
1620 SW List Self-Serve Commands Valerie Sutton Tue  8/3/1999

  Message 1587  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index