forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3037  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Thu Mar 9, 2000  10:07 pm
Subject:  Re: How to Transcribe Videos in SW, Part 1

Dear Valerie,

I´m happy to read your comments on this issue.

I bought myself a new computer with especially video - graphic - crad - in
order to create quicktime movies , to copy single pictures from my videos -
(classroom situations or Deaf signer ) etc.

I`m working in the past a lot with transcribing videos - (television
presentations - or selfmade videos )

It´s true that I have great difficulties to write facial expressions
correctly. Often I thought about the idea to have the opportunity to compare
my writing with the creations of somebody else. Must be fun to look at the
video on and on in again in order to sharpen my ability for exact watching.
There is another point. With SW 4.3 there are so many possibilities for
facial expressions - but on my videos or in life situation I realize a lack
of ability to define the different tensions, frowns, ey-options ....
It´s like as if somebody else is looking at my African Greys and wouldn´t be
able to see the differences !!

I´m looking forward to your additional comments and I´m really interested in
participating in this project. Not knowing what the signs mean is a great
chance to learn - what I would love to learn - SignWriting.

Stefan ;-)

>From: Valerie Sutton
>To: SignWriting List
>Subject: How to Transcribe Videos in SW, Part 1
>Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 08:38:56 -0800
>
>On 3/6/00, Stuart Thiessen wrote:
>
>>My first question in regard to all of this is: What are some good tips you
>>have found for transcribing a videotape? The process I am planning so far
>>is:
>>
>>1. Begin by getting the basic signs down.
>>
>>2. Review that initial transcription by adding any non-manual material
>>such
>>as facial expressions, pauses, etc.
>>
>>3. Continue to review it until we are sure that there are no other manual
>>or non-manual elements that need to be included.
>
>-------------------------------------
>
>SignWriting List
>March 9, 2000
>
>Thank you, Stuart, for your questions about transcribing from video.
>I am sure there are many ways to go about the job, and certainly
>everyone has to choose their own way of working.
>
>But let me share with you what I have learned, and also how I think,
>when I am transcribing.
>
>1. Write directly in SignWriting. Do not think in English or any
>other spoken language.
>
>2. Do not worry about what the signs mean in the beginning. In the
>beginning, what matters is "seeing" each sign from a movement
>perspective. A little like an interpreter, you do not stand in
>judgement of what is being said...instead you are "a neutral scribe".
>
>3. Do not see something as "manual" or "non-manual". Those linguistic
>terms have nothing to do with SignWriting, and they will trap you
>into limitations of the past. SignWriting sees the signs as "whole
>units". Just as a Deaf child read signs quickly in "whole units"
>....the same is true when writing the signs. The SW scribe needs to
>write the signs in whole units too....you will end up with a more
>"true to ASL" transcription later if you can learn this technique.
>
>4. What happens if you write too many facial expressions? So far, it
>appears that that is not serious. But what is serious is to eliminate
>necessary facial expressions...so for now, I would suggest writing
>any facial expression that "feels" necessary to understand the sign.
>
>Now....having said all this....you don't have to tell me that you may
>think differently than I do...I am sure we all take notes in English
>or other spoken languages in different ways too!
>
>I will be posting a series of new email messages in the next few
>days, continuing this theme, since I have much more to share with
>you, regarding techniques for transcribing videos.....
>
>Thanks for your questions, Stuart, and congratulations once again on
>your permission to transcribe!
>

>Val ;-)

>Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
>Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Replies Author Date
3156 Re: How to Transcribe Videos in SW, Part 1 Valerie Sutton Wed  3/22/2000
3163 Re: How to Transcribe Videos in SW, Part 1 Mark Penner Thu  3/23/2000
3177 Re: How to Transcribe Videos in SW, Part 1 Valerie Sutton Fri  3/24/2000
3182 Re: How to Transcribe Videos in SW, Part 1 Mark Penner Wed  3/29/2000
3185 Re: How to Transcribe Videos in SW, Part 1 Valerie Sutton Wed  3/29/2000

  Message 3037  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index