forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3226  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Apr 18, 2000  5:06 am
Subject:  Re: Writing skills develop after reading skills

At 8:16 AM -0700 4/15/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
>Well, I got the impression, that my students are following a
>different path. I got the idea that in Nicaragua, South - Africa,
>Albuquerque the students start with reading and writing all at once.

SignWriting List
April 17, 2000

Thank you for your outstanding message, Stefan. It is a very
important message, and a long one, and I would like to post that as
feedback on your web page...along with the wonderful photos of your
students!

Guess what, everyone! I had a nice surprise yesterday!

I was working on web design, and it was a lovely Sunday afternoon.
But as always, being the workaholic I am, I was working non-stop and
barely knew what a beautiful day it was...

The phone rang..."Hi Valerie! This is Judy Kegl. I am in La
Jolla...Do you have time to see me?"!

I was so thrilled to see Judy again! We talked and talked and talked
until I drove Judy to the airport to fly back to Maine late last
night. And I even got out of the house and walked along La Jolla's
beach! It was great!

I got a little chance to hear about Judy and James' work in
Nicaragua...one new development is that the TV show called
"60-Minutes 2" here in the US, may be airing a program about the
schools in Nicaragua on national US television, possibly on Tuesday
April 25th...The program is about their work with Deaf children in
general, so SignWriting is not the focus of the program, but I am
secretly hoping there might be some SignWriting on the blackboard!

But now...back to reading and writing... It is my understanding that
in Nicaragua they started with reading first and then later they
started writing, but we should ask James and Judy...

In Albuquerque, teacher Cecilia Flood will tell you that when we
first met, before she started introducing SignWriting, I told her I
thought reading came first and writing second...so she and I did
discuss that issue together...

Both teachers from Albuquerque, Cecilia and Lorraine, are members of
the SW List. The Albuquerque schools are on Spring break right now,
but I hope they can share with us when they get back.

Both the Albuquerque Public Schools, and your students, Stefan,
started at the same time - in September, 1999. So you are equal in
the amount of time - 7 months. However, the Albuquerque people are
working with ASL, and since our materials are in ASL, they had that
advantage. So it is equal in time, but not materials ;-)

The South African project is one month old. And they have no
materials written in any of their 11 signed languages yet....so that
project has barely gotten started.

The experiences of students writing in SignWriting that you heard
about....I do not believe they were planned experiences.... I believe
the students astonished their own teachers. They were spontaneous
inspirations from a few very bright students ...so the writing was
not necessarily taught, but instead it "just happened". At least,
that is my interpretation of what happened - but I hope the teachers
will tell us in their own words!

  Replies Author Date
3261 Re: Writing skills develop after reading skills Lorraine Crespin Fri  4/21/2000
3267 Publishing DanceWriting documents in PDF ;-) Valerie Sutton Tue  4/25/2000
3273 Re: Publishing DanceWriting documents in PDF ;-) Angus B. Grieve-Smith Tue  4/25/2000
3275 Re: Writing skills develop after reading skills Valerie Sutton Tue  4/25/2000
3281 Re: Writing skills develop after reading skills Stefan Woehrmann Tue  4/25/2000

  Message 3226  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index