forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3784  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Charles Butler
Date:  Sun Jul 9, 2000  12:42 pm
Subject:  Re: Lessons on the web that might help....

looking at lesson 10, it seems that the arrows you show are very specific in
their placement. You have said that arrows can be drawn anywhere. From
your own illustration Valerie, that is NOT strictly true. The center of the
four arcs that indicate rotation in a circle is the hand. Therefore, for
the same movement of a hand sticking forward from your body, I could write
any one of the four arrows in that circle, as long as it was placed above,
below, to the left or to the right as shown, and it would result in my hand
turning over clockwise. But again, the arrow should be placed above, below,
to the left, or to the right of the hand to show which part of the arc one
is writing. It's all one circle. The arrow above can't be put below a
hand, if the system is to be consistent to how one chooses to draw a circle
for up-down movement, up being the top of the page, down being the bottom of
the page.

In and out would conceivably be the same, any of the four possible arcs will
do, but they MUST be placed to the side of the hand appropriate so that the
arc encloses the hand. Now THAT is consistent. Write so that the ARC
encloses the hand that is rotating. Any of the four arrows are possible,
but they MUST be placed in such a way that the ARC of the arrow encloses the
hand being rotated.

Attached is my illustration of what this looks like. Does this help?

Attachment
Rotate.jpg
Type: image/jpeg

3786 Re: Lessons on the web that might help.... Valerie Sutton Sun  7/9/2000
3787 Re: Lessons on the web that might help.... Valerie Sutton Sun  7/9/2000
3793 Re: Lessons on the web that might help.... Stefan Woehrmann Sun  7/9/2000
3794 Space divided into quarters does not mean a quart Valerie Sutton Mon  7/10/2000
3795 Re: Lessons on the web that might help.... Charles Butler Mon  7/10/2000
3796 Rotations again ;-)) Valerie Sutton Mon  7/10/2000

  Message 3784  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index