forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6093  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Dec 28, 2001  5:15 pm
Subject:  Re: translating written or typed words to sign

>Vicki Desanto asks: "I am looking for a way to translate typed words and
>have the corresponding sign for that word appear. No
>more than one sentence at a time. I am a sign dancer
>and am looking for a way to simplify my learning. It
>is difficult to keep having to flip back and forth in
>a book and the programs on the internet only allow you
>to pull up one sign at a time and sometimes you can't
>save them. I would like to be able to type in the
>words and have the motions appear underneath or above
>the typed text or have it translate from words to sign
>motions. What do you think? I look forward to
>hearing from you."

Dear SignWriting List Members, and Vicki!
Thank you for this question. Years ago I was a dancer too, Vicki, so
I understand a dancer's desire to learn to sign. Signed languages are
beautiful languages that have a great appeal to dancers....and from a
purely theatrical perspective, the combination of Sign Language with
dance, can be quite inspiring for the audience.

But having said that, there is also an enormous difference between
signed languages and dance. An official Sign Language, such as
American Sign Language (ASL), has sentence structure and grammar that
needs to be learned, just as you would learn French or Spanish or any
foreign language.

So to create software to translate an English sentence, automatically
into written ASL, takes sophisticated software that knows the
difference between English grammar and ASL grammar - two very
different languages.

So perhaps others on the SignWriting List could suggest such
translation software?

Meanwhile, Vicki, you could also learn Sutton DanceWriting and
SignWriting on these web sites:

SignWritingSite
https://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

DanceWritingSite
https://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

MovementWritingSite
https://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write Movement & Gesture

And you could then write the combinations of dance and signs
yourself, with the same writing system! If you are interested in
this, please write again ....And best of luck with your search...

6107 Re: translating written or typed words to sign Stefan Woehrmann2 Sun  12/30/2001
6109 Re: translating written or typed words to sign Valerie Sutton Sun  12/30/2001
6120 Re: translating written or typed words to sign Angus B. Grieve-Smith Mon  12/31/2001
6121 Re: translating written or typed words to sign Valerie Sutton Mon  12/31/2001

  Message 6093  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index