forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6061  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Dec 20, 2001  6:24 pm
Subject:  ZURICH: How To Publish in Vertical Columns

SignWriting List
December 20, 2001

QUESTION FROM ZURICH PROJECT:
>>Do you really use Gifs for printing? My people here tell me that Tiff
is a better quality for printing. Maybe you're better informed?

VAL'S ANSWER:
Ahh....It is a myth, that one graphics format is ALWAYS better than
another. It depends on the software you are using, and the purpose of
your document.

To publish books, TIFFs and EPS formats have value. To publish web
sites, GIFs and JPEGs are a requirement. So it all depends...

I learned, when using Adobe ImageReady software, that there are over
30 kinds of GIFs. Some of those GIF formats are as sophisticated as
high-resolution TIFFs.

Meanwhile, a low-level GIF is generally fine for basic black and
white line drawings, such as SignWriting. TIFFs can be an overkill
for very simple line drawings. But your graphics artist is welcome to
use any format that is best for them...

I will give you my sequence for publishing in the next message -

Thanks for your question!

___________________________

Valerie Sutton

....visit the...

SignWritingSite
https://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

DanceWritingSite
https://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

MovementWritingSite
https://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write Movement & Gesture

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
tel: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Replies Author Date
6062 Re: ZURICH: How To Publish in Vertical Columns Valerie Sutton Thu  12/20/2001
6065 SIGNWRITING SERVICES 2002 Valerie Sutton Thu  12/20/2001
6067 Re: ZURICH: How To Publish in Vertical Columns GS-Media Fri  12/21/2001
6069 ZURICH: Publishing Your First SW Story Valerie Sutton Fri  12/21/2001
6071 ZURICH: Right & Left Placement Valerie Sutton Fri  12/21/2001

  Message 6061  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index