forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3929  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Tue Sep 19, 2000  3:53 pm
Subject:  Acrobat converts .ps files into .pdf files

Dear Valerie and SW List

Valerie wrote:
(...)

I need your help now. I need the same kind of instructions from you.
I know you own Adobe Acrobat 4.0, which creates .PDF files, and I
know you have successfully created SignWriter files in .PDF from
Acrobat 4.0.

How did you do that? I cannot make it work....

Please give us step-by-step instructions on the SignWriting List...

And please do not include anything about GhostWriter. The
instructions should be specifically for Acrobat 4.0 users....(nothing
wrong with GhostWriter, but Acrobat owners need the instruction ;-)

So many thanks in advance -
--

I´ll be happy to describe the way I get the pdf files with my Computer.
Months ago I happened to make these files with GhostWriter but since I can

So here we go : (When I start my computer it openes with Windows 98, I
switch to SW 4.3)

1) I type and save a file in SW 4.3 (It is listed in my file box , which
appears when the program is open.)
(Just in order to keep my explanations easy I called my file : Mensch

I would like to make a .pdf file out of this Mensch - file

I change the settings following your wonderfull descriptions in your Manual
"SignWriter - At-A-Glance - page 28.

I change the settings of my printer in SW
I type :
1. Alt -S (Setup command)
2. P ( for Printing)
3. P (for Printer)
4. P (for Postscript)

I change the Interface:
I type

1. Alt -S (Setup command)
2. P (for Printing)
3. I (for Interface)
4. 4 ( for LPT2)

2) Now I close (!!!) the SW Programm (Alt +Quit, Yes) following the
commands in the command line.

(I´m back on my Windows-Desktop)

3) Now I go to MS-Dos "Eingabeaufforderung " and start the Dos -modus

the screen says C :\WINDOWS>

I type : cd ..

4) the screen says C:\>

I type : cd SW

5) the screen says C:\SW>

I type: prn2file/P2 mensch.ps (press Return)

5) The screen says (in the end - last line ) : C:\SW>

I type : sw (press Return)

6) Now I´m back on the Signwriter programm screen

press alt key and P (for printing)

The program asks : Print what file ?

I type Mensch

(and press Return)

Now the computer prints this file - notice the changing screens !)

7) Now I quit the SW 4.3 program

I´m back on the Dos -Screen which says : C:\SW>

8) I type: exit

(So I´m back at Windows now ;-)

9) Open the Acrobat Distiller Program

10) Open file Mensch.ps which is to be found in the SW folder

11) The Acrobat Distiller Program opens a new window and asks for the .pdf
file name -
automatically it suggets Mensch.pdf -
I choose a folder where my pdf.- files should be saved

12) press "save" and the machine will start to convert my
ps -file into a .pdf file

;-)

You can print it or look at it with Acrobat Reader !! They look great !

Hope this helps.

P.S. It´s long ago since I converted my first files and I´m not sure where I
found this Prn2file - command. I guess somebody on the list told us about
this and offered the source for a download ?? together with Ghostscript and
Ghostview --
I´m not able to open .sgn - files directly with the Acrobat Distiller - Who
knows perhaps I got so happy about my achievement that I didn´t care any
more about other strategies ? At least I can tell you that the whole
procedure is much less complicated as it may look like ! Let me know - if
you succeed !! ;-)

So much to be done - my first grade students are sooooo hungry for new SW -
materials ! My elder students get along with the complicated German
grammar - just while get the opportunity to translate DGS (German Sign
Language) into German . SW is simply great !!!!! I´ll let you know about our
extraordinary success in a short time - ;-)

All the best
Stefan ;-)

Val ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie Sutton

Visit the SignWritingSite:

3930 Re: Acrobat converts .ps files into .pdf files Valerie Sutton Tue  9/19/2000
3931 Re: Acrobat converts .ps files into .pdf files Angus B. Grieve-Smith Tue  9/19/2000
3932 Re: Acrobat converts .ps files into .pdf files Valerie Sutton Tue  9/19/2000
3933 Re: Acrobat converts .ps files into .pdf files Stuart Thiessen Tue  9/19/2000
3935 Re: Acrobat converts .ps files into .pdf files Valerie Sutton Tue  9/19/2000
3937 Re: Acrobat converts .ps files into .pdf files Stuart Thiessen Tue  9/19/2000
3939 Re: Acrobat converts .ps files into .pdf files Valerie Sutton Wed  9/20/2000
3940 Re: Acrobat converts .ps files into .pdf files Angus B. Grieve-Smith Wed  9/20/2000
3934 Re: Acrobat converts .ps files into .pdf files Angus B. Grieve-Smith Tue  9/19/2000

  Message 3929  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index